June 26, 2009

Molly's Money-Saving Digest July 2009 (Review)

Though I am no longer part of The Old Schoolhouse Crew, I am so thankful that my friends at The Old Schoolhouse magazine have decided to keep me on the list to review some of their e-books. I recently received an early copy of Molly's Money-Saving Digest for July so that I could look it over and let you know my thoughts! This resource can be used by everyone, not just homeschool moms, so read on if you're interested in ways to save yourself and your family some money!

The July issue of Molly's Money-Saving Digest is all about Frugal Fashion. Every article relates to ways that you can save money on clothing for your family. As you know, I have sewed a few dresses for Ella, but it has been difficult to make myself get back into the sewing room lately. The articles I read on sewing for your family have encouraged me to get back to it. These days, it is harder to save money by sewing because the cost of fabric (plus thread, buttons, etc.) is so high, but my favorite article ("A Mama Who Sews" by Aubrey Lively) in this issue reminded me to look at the savings in a different light. I need to see how I'm saving special memories for my daughter by creating items that are made specifically for her. I need to remember the look of pure delight on her face when I was finally finished with the dress I made her last summer. These are precious moments that cannot be bought with a cheap shirt from Wal-Mart. Here's the pic of Ella in that dress and a link to the post I wrote about it: Feelin' Crafty



Molly's Digest for July has a great article from Jennifer Schmidt, entitled "Looking Your Best - For Less!". She gives you wonderful tips for hitting the thrift stores to find fashionable clothing for yourself. I, for one, need to take these tips and run with them! My wardrobe could use some touching up since most of my clothes are comfy t-shirts and capri pants to be worn around the house and running errands. I would love to add a little pizazz, but don't really need to spend the money right now. I know a lot of you can relate! Jennifer actually shows you some of the complete outfits (with accessories) she has put together for only $10-$15, simply by shopping thrift, consignment and yard sales. Not only did I love her article, but I also love her blog (I got the link from Molly's Digest...you can, too!).

This issue of Molly's Money-Saving Digest also includes articles about how to save for the future, how to donate to charity and help friends when money is tight, how to show hospitality without blowing the budget, along with simple ways to help your children learn how to become more frugal themselves (hint, you have to show them by example!). I really enjoyed reading through my first Molly's Digest. You'll soon be able to find the July issue (and a new issue each month, plus archives) at The Old Schoolhouse store for only $4.95! You can also find some wonderful advice, freebies, coupons, and tips on Molly's blog, Econobusters.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Cute layout and glad to see your life again...although I was really interested in all the homeschooling stuff. I'll definitely have to check out Molly's digest because these days, I'm all about saving the money!!!!