July 18, 2009

Big Dreams Creative Designs E-Book (Review)

I have had the chance to review another e-book for The Old Schoolhouse magazine. It is called, "Big Dreams Creative Designs" and it is written by Donna Campos. This new e-book offers many ideas for creative learning opportunities, even if you're on a tight budget.

In this 54-page e-book, Donna shares with you some of the ways she's used inexpensive items to transform her homeschool. The first section of the book gives you several ways to use something as simple as a three-sided science fair display board! From just this one item, you can make an adaptable calendar, a puppet theater, a scrolling story board, personal partitions (for those of you who are homeschooling more than one child), and activity center partitions! Donna doesn't just show you how to make each of those things, she also shows you how each one can be used in different ways with pictures and detailed directions.

The next section of the "Big Dreams Creative Designs" e-book deals with organization - specifically, how to keep your school supplies/books/posters/etc. organized for daily use. Donna converted an old computer desk into a multi-use educational center that can be wheeled around in your house so you can take your "school" with you! I love this idea and would love to incorporate it into my home at some point. If you don't have room for such a large piece, Donna tells you how to recycle items you might not have thought about using for school storage.

After reading this book, I started to think about organizing my own school area. This afternoon, I did some rearranging with great results. I found an old crate that had been in the garage for quite some time that I dusted off and am now using as a shelf to hold my daughter's collection of coloring books on her desk. Her desk had been quite cluttered with all of her art supplies, so I found creative ways to store those as well. This e-book was just the nudge I needed to get myself in gear!

If you buy this wonderful e-book, you will also learn how to use file folders to create timelines that don't take up a whole wall and index cards to design a variety of activities for use in your homeschool. Donna Campos is very creative and invites you to think outside the box (literally!), while providing you plenty of help and direction along the way. This new e-book will be available very soon at The Old Schoolhouse store. I will post again when it has been released!

No comments: